Jai's Photo of Nancy

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Feeling Him Close

My dear friend Margaret wrote this. I want to share it with you.


Feeling Him Close

Death slouched outside my bedroom
window last night,
leaning against the wall
acting as if he had all the time in the world.

All night I felt him there
as I floated at the top layer of sleep
with my hand on my beloved’s broad chest.
I wasn’t afraid that he was coming for us.
I knew that he just wanted me to feel him close.

Some of the people he visits, he walks right in
and sits at their supper table
so they can smell whatever it is he has on his breath
real close up.

Last night death loitered by my house,
but he didn’t come in,
and I was glad that I knew
he wouldn’t be getting in bed with us
just yet.
Somehow I knew that much.

My friend thought she knew that, too,
and then one day he showed up in a scan of her body,
all of a sudden.
Now she doesn’t seem to mind
that he drapes himself on her sofa
or that he likes to stroke her hair.
She made friends with him right away,
and though they are an odd couple,
her being so healthy and all,
we are getting used to their relationship.

She is actually glowing,
and the more he hangs around,
the more we can accept his good points
like one of those handsome bad boys with a heart of gold,
the ones that take you in a fast car
to places you never thought you could go.

He might decide he wants to take her away
which would break our hearts,
but she smiles and tells us that                             
it’s only a matter of time –                                                          
he will take us all.                                                                  

                    Margaret Barkley
                    Copyright © 2010

3 comments:

Lani Jacobson said...

Thank you so much for sharing this, dear Nancy .... And thank you dear Margaret for writing or channelling It ...which is one more piece of the great mystery. Blessings and love to all beings, and especially to most gracious and most glowing Nancy, who is showing us the way.

Love,
Lani

Anonymous said...

Margaret, I greatly admire your poem. Nancy clearly inspires us all.

I like your image of Death as a handsome bad boy driving a fast car.
By any chance does he have a sister, with similar attributes?

Send her round when my time comes.

Michael

katrina Sky Weaver said...

I had the great pleasure of spending time with Nancy @ Good Medicine family gathering this past summer. I had known her in the community for many years, but hadn't dropped in with her untill last spring. Laural called and asked if I could help a friend with a project. When I got to Laurals, she greeted me warmly as always, and asked if I knew Nancy. I said, I knew who she was, and she proceeded to bring me to Nancys house. Laural commented on the way over, how much we would love each other, because we shared alot of the same passions.( thanks Laural!) She was so right!!! I walked in her house and felt such connection with her spirit and way of living. We spent the day sharing our love for gardening, and artistic endevours. I was inspired by her mosaics and we shared yummy raw food reciepts....and we had the opportunity to see closer the sparkle in each others eye's. I was excited to finally weave our worlds closer...and being @ good medicine did just that.! I wittnessed Nancy being honored by all her old friends, and old school musical family, that where so happy Nancy was there, as was I. She shared with me, how touching it was for her to be so honored and luved by so many people. She lead songs and held a place of honor amongst the amaxing So. Oregon,./ good medicine family. I feel so blessed that my life was graced with her in the last year of her life. We saw each other and felt the heart connection, and I am deeply touched by all I read, and to stand wittness to her passing. We all know she is our angel now...and thank you Nancy... for showing us so much......Thank you to ALL her amazing sisters and bro's that held close with her these past 4 months. I have held her in my heart and prayers, and I will continue to do so, as well as all her close friends and family through this tender time.
My heart is full of love and graditude for being touched by Nancy's life...
Blessed Bee.....Katrina Sky Weaver