Jai's Photo of Nancy

Monday, February 21, 2011

Born to Something Else

I am the Monday handmaiden
for our green-eyed princess.
I enter her room quietly,
slowing myself to match her rhythm.
What does she need today?

Death is a messy and beautiful business.
The mystery of it is taking us along,
through heartbreak, through the logistics of her care,
through her particular royal crabbiness,
through calm talk of pine caskets and green burial,
through the luminous field of love in her room,
and back to heartbreak.

As her circle of women we are taking turns with her day by day,
as her body gets weaker – swollen in some places,
skinny in others,
and her spirit gets stronger – brave and soft.
She is more honest, having run out of time
to be polite.
She is picky about small things, having lost control
over most everything else.
She wants the cup here, not there.
She wants the light dimmed, but not that dim.
She wants this person to visit today, but not that one.
She is also loving and grateful for every bit of life she has.

We are all going to die.
I know this already,
but now I see it beyond fact.
We can want a certain quality of death
someday –
painless, peaceful, with loved ones –
but each death has a life all its own

and as I said, death is a messy and beautiful business.
Like childbirth,
beautiful but not pretty,
pure but not tidy

and we are watching our green-eyed princess
go through the stages of labor
toward another kind of birth.
Like any mother, she is moving through
her own birth canal, letting go of everything
and becoming everything.

She is being born to something else –
we can see it in her eyes.

with love to our Nancy and all of you,
Margaret Barkley
February 21, 2011

6 comments:

Evalena Rose said...

Your poems, Margaret, your beautifully chosen words, take me right into the room with those privileged to sit with Nancy and shares the mystery. I feel honored to witness, even at a distance, this powerful meeting of death that Nancy reveals, this embrace of the inevitable, this opening to her luminosity. What a blessing for us all.

I see the chrysalis of light being help around Nancy and pray all the love and concern directed her way further expand that Light to guide her through her passage. May all who offer her care and love be very blessed and supported as you support her in finding deep peace.
Love and Light,
Evalena

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Margaret. Your poem helps. Like Evalena, desiring to bear witness more fully to Nancy's journey to Spirit. Special blessings to the inner circle of family, handmaidens, caretakers, loving Nancy. Seeing into the Divine Light-Liz Faller

Heidi Riege said...

I just couldn't say it better than Evalena... Margaret, this is an amazing piece of writing. It so encompasses the power and the glory of this whole process for everyone involved. I'm sending so much love to you all, and of course, most especially to Nancy, who I've known most of my life. The gift you are bringing is unimaginably dear.
Peace and gratitude... Heidi

Judith Fenley said...

oh my attentive Margaret
how you touch and embody
time with Nancy
i tremble
i rejoice
i ache
i cry
i pray
i love
i am there
with Nancy
in love with all
there for her
gratitude

Judith

Natalie Craig said...

As I read the deeply touching and poignant words written describing Nancy's brave and mysterious journey unfolding...I am beholden to her loved ones and inner circle of friends for their daily care, compassion and love. I am honored to share a glimpse into Nancy's light and surrender.

Nancy may you find peace in all of the Love that surrounds you....

Sending Blessings and my Love,
Natalie

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your poetry Margaret. Your words are helping me be with the fact of her passing this morning. And yet words cannot express what an inspiration she is to me and so many. Now it is in the deeper living of this precious life that I will express that.